Just hours away, the 63rd Annual Tony Awards are taking place this Sunday, June 7 at 8pm on CBS. Hosted this year by actor Neil Patrick Harris, the show recognizes excellence in American Theatre. New to the awards show in 2009, the Tony Awards have collaborated with the Broadway Green Alliance (BGA) and the Natural Resources Defense Council to "go green."
Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, released a statement saying “Broadway has landed a starring role in demonstrating to New Yorkers how sustainable practices are easy to implement, and are good for the environment and the bottom line. Many of the steps the 'Broadway Green Alliance' has taken are only visible in the back of the house, but now they will be in the spotlight of the Tony Awards.”
The organization hopes to motivate the community to adopt more environmentally friendly procedures in theater production.
The Tony Awards will be taking the following action during the show.
- Renewable Energy used for Telecasts
- Post Consumer Recycled Paper used for Playbill, Red Carpet, Decorations and Press Printouts
- Awareness Kiosks
- Recycling Bins throughout Radio City
- Hybrid Vehicles used for Guest Transportation
Lipton-Tea-Sponsored Gift Bags were made green as well.
- 2,200 Energy Efficient Cold Cathode Light Bulbs from Goodmart
- 500 Clear2Go Reusable Water Bottles from Applica Consumer Products, Inc.
- Frankie's Fruit & Chocolate
- Vera Bradley Luggage
- Lipton Tea will make donations to the BGA for every celebrity who shares a “Green” tip at the gift lounge
So while Broadway begins to decrease their environmental impact this Sunday, invite friends over, make your picks, and enjoy the show but be also aware of how you can help the planet in your own way.